Re: Complete local mirror.

Adam Scriven <scriven@lore.com> writes:
> I've been toying with the idea of setting up a complete local mirror for
> all of my machines here.  It wouldn't be public (at least not yet), but it
> would cut down on my network traffic, and it would cut down on the debian
> servers that are being pummelled right now.
> 8-)
>
> I'd like to be able to setup my machine local apt mirror.  I think it's
> just a question of:
> apt-move -b mirror
> And as long as I have my sources.list file setup with the rsync servers, it
> should get me anything I haven't already downloaded, yes?
>
> And then putting a link to my local apt-mirror (/mirror/debian is the
> default) to the anonymous home directory (/debian/ or something), and then
> pointing all my other machines at my local machine in their
> apt/sources.list file.
>
> But I'm not exactly sure.
>
> I've got 10GB on a spare partition, and I can devote the whole thing to a
> local mirror.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> I plan on having Debian on at least 4 machines (I've already got it on 3),
> probably on the 4th by the end of the day.
> Adam
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada

First, I'm not sure you could get a complete Debian mirror on
10GB. You can certainly get a couple of architectures for maybe stable
and unstable on 10GB. The potato 386 distribution alone is 2GB and I
image woody is slightly more. Then you have to worry about binary
distributions for sparc, alpha, powerpc, m68k, etc. Then there's the
Hurd...I think you'll have to make a choice. You might be able to get
a complete archive of one distribution on 10GB, like all of potato,
but that might be cutting it close with just 10GB.

Once you do that you then need to select a tool to do the mirror. If
you're only going to do a single architecture, eg., 386, then I'd
recommend a http utility like wget. The advantage of a http utility is
that you don't have to contend with all the logical links like you do
with an ftp utility, like mirror for example. There's a lot of stuff
in binary-i386 that's linked to binary-all and I imagine at this point
there's a lot of stuff in woody that's linked to potato. I have yet to
find a ftp utility that will convert such links to files if you're
trying to be selective about what you get. Actually I think it has
more to do with the ftp server the mirrors run. mirror has a flag to
flatten symbolic links but the last time I tried it it didn't work on
any of the Debian mirrors I aimed it at.

So, with all this in mind, if you can be more specific about what you
want to mirror maybe we can be more specific on how to go about doing
it.

I'm not familiar with apt-move so maybe someone else can pick up the
ball and run with it.

Gary