Re: A few misc. problems

Wow, I had over 100 new mail messages in my inbox this morning. I didn't
notice an answer to your questions, so I'll try.

> 3. How do I start postgres on startup?  I'm confused with all the different
> /etc/rc*.d directories.  This is how I think it is supposed to go:
>
> 'su -c postgres postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &'
>
> Do I put this in a '/etc/rc?.d/S??postgres' file?  What should go in place of
> the question marks?  Do I need a Kill file as well?

I've found that when you first install postgresql, it should install a
/etc/init.d/postgresql script to start/stop postgres. It also installs
sim links to that file in S20postgres in rc2,3,4,5.d directories.

> 4. When I chang the information in linuxconf for eth0 and eth1 the changes
> never seem to stick.  Meaning I open it right after closing it and it didn't
> save anything.  What are the files that I can edit directly?   On redhat they
> are like '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1'
>
> Thanks in advance,
> cxpx

That depends on your system. Slink defaults to using the script in
/etc/init.d/network, but potato updates that by preferentially using
/etc/network/interfaces for ifup/ifdown configuration. If you're running
potato or woody, I suggest reading up on 'info ifup' and configure your
system.

To tell you the honest truth, I didn't know that linuxconf worked on
debian.