Installation: error messages

Hello Debians!

I just installed 2.1 slink (one more time) and got these messages at the
end of the dselect package installation:

----------------
Errors were encountered while processing

gs
gv
pstotext
pstoedit
ghostview

Installation script returned error exit status 1.

mv: /var/lib/pdmenu//pdmenurc_auto.new : No such file or directory

Update-menus: Cannot remove lockfile /var/run/update-menus.pid

I would be very grateful if someone could inform me about the importance
of these messages and in what way they effect my system.

I have installed 2.1 several times but never managed to configure it to
my satisfaction, no internet connection and no sound for example, and i
have REALLY tried. I really would like to use Debian/GNU instead of SuSE
which i otherwise have as my default OS.

Greetings!

Helgi Örn