Re: Debian in Academic and Public Organisations

Whats the email address for the original poster? I *assume* he wants to be CCed.

Gidday

I am the network admin at Avonside Girls' High School in Christchurch New Zealand. We currently run two NT servers for main file and print sharing and email based on Exchange.

In addition the firewall runs "bastard linux" - a severely secured distribution a couple of friends brewed up. Our CDROM server is slackware based, but will become debian as soom as I get time to do that. We have a couple of old 486 based debian print servers that do absolutely marvellously.

My favourite debian box is the one that replaced an ageing macintosh SE/30 running Macjanet. Its now a P120 running debian, netatalk, samba and webmin for a room of old Mac LCIIs. It can serve PCs as well as Macs now, and goes about 500 times faster.

Debian rocks.  No other word for it.