how to make a zImage

Hi,
  Can someone give me some insights into kernel headers? is it needed to compile a new kernel or is only a kernel source .deb needed? How do I build a new kernel without using the kernel-package in Debian? Can someone give me some clear steps. I had read a book on it and still couldn't make head or tail of it. (maybe I should read another 10 more times?) Thank you. This is because I want to do a "make zImage". My laptop can't stand a bzImage. Or can the kernel-package make a zImage kernel??

regards,
joey