Re: New with Linux

   Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 04:20:11 EST
   From: dchamber@mail.orion.org (Dennis Chambers)

	   2) Is there a way I can see my OS/2 HPFS drives under Debian?

You get GCC and a kernel source.  You go to the kernel
source directory - mine is /usr/src/linux (slackware
system).  Here you say

make config

and answer a bunch of questions.  One is if you want support
for HPFS (read-only! write unsupported AFAIK).  After
answering alot of questions, guessing where needed..

make dep
make clean
make zImage   (or make vmlinuz, optionally - larger, though)

After a long time, you'll have a new kernel.  Copy it to the
/ directory - be sure you don't overwrite an existing
kernel, in case it doesn't work you want the old one still.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf to point at the new kernel filename (if
different).  As a side note, you can add an entry in
lilo.conf for each of two different named kernels.  This
way, you can boot either w/o a boot disk - safe thing to do.
Alternatively, make sure you have a boot disk.

REINSTALL LILO - if you forget, LILO won't find the new
kernel.. in fact, it won't find the old one if you
moved/renamed it.

edit /etc/fstab and add an entry for the OS/2 partition
(/dev/hd?).

	   3) Is a floppy boot required or is there a way to get Debian to boot
make a LILO boot disk (you have one from #2, ne?).  Boot
into OS/2 and do whatever to install OS/2's Boot Manager.
This involves making a 1 meg partition for the Boot Manager
and overwriting the hard drives "MBR" - i.e. LILO, I assume.
Add Linux to the Boot Manager Menu.

Boot Linux using the LILO boot floppy.  Edit /etc/lilo.conf
to install in the Boot sector of the Linux partition - NOT
the MBR of the disk (OS/2 is using that).  Install LILO.

Do note that it is quite possible to use LILO in the MBR to
boot OS/2 and Linux and DOS.  I've done it, whatever the
FAQs say.

~Oly
oly@head-cfa.harvard.edu

If you are installing Linux / OS/2 from scratch, here're
what I consider the two approaches to take.  Forgive any
mistakes I may have made

This is a quick document I am throwing together in response
to the many questions about using OS2 and Linux on the same
machine.  This way I can respond to questions without doing
extra work - so if this isn't tailored perfectly to your
question, that is why.

----------

There are basically two approaches to sharing the OSs on
your machine.  The first approach is to use OS/2's Boot
Manager to choose between OS/2 and Linux.  The second
approach is to use Linux's LILO to choose between Linux and
OS/2.  The main advantage to choosing one over the other is
if you think you may eliminate one of the OSs.

----------
Approach 1: Using OS/2's boot manager

Note: This approach is also covered in the FAQs

1. Install the minimum of Linux to a partition.  When
installing LILO, install to the superblock of the PARTITION.
Do NOT install to the MBR as OS/2 will be using it.

2. Install OS/2.  Use the advanced setup and be careful not
to eliminate the Linux partition.  Install the Boot Manager
and make the Linux partition bootable and add it to the Boot
Manager's list of OSs.

3. Verify that OS/2's Boot Manager works and that you can
boot either OS.  Then, boot Linux and install any remaining
parts you want (you could do this right away in 1., but if
you mess up 2., you'll have lost alot more work.).

Assuming you have a swap partition for Linux, you should
wind up with a system like this:

+-----+    +-------------------+
| MBR |--->| OS/2 Boot Manager |
+-----+    +-----+----+--------+
                 |    |                   +------------+
                 |    |                   | Linux Swap |
                 |    |                   +------------+
                 |    |    +-------+
                 |    +--->| Linux |
                 |         +-------+
                 |         +-------+
                 +-------->| OS/2  |
                           +-------+

----------
Approach 2: Using LILO

There are two basic reasons why I prefer this approach.  The
first is that it doesn't require a 1 megabyte partition to
be used for the Boot Manager, freeing you up to have an
extra partition and still be within the limit of 4
primaries.  Of course, you could always use extended
partitions.  The second is that if you decide to drop OS/2,
there is no trace of it on your drive.  I think it is more
likely that anyone reading this would drop OS/2 than drop
Linux.

1. Begin installing OS/2 using the advanced installation.
It will put you into the fdisk utility.  Create the OS/2
partition, but do NOT create the Boot Manager partition.
Set the OS/2 partition as installable.  When you exit the
fdisk utility, it asks you to reboot with the OS/2 Install
disk.  Instead, reboot with the appropriate boot floppy to
install Linux

2. Install the minimum of Linux.  Be careful not to destroy
the OS/2 partition you just created.  In LILO, be sure to
add the OS/2 partition to the list of bootable partitions.
When you have finished, halt Linux in an appropriate manner
(i.e. /sbin/halt or somesuch) and reboot the machine with
the OS/2 Install floppy.

3. Now you'll be right back where OS/2 left off.  It should
correctly identify tha OS/2 partition to install to.  Go
ahead and install OS/2.  When you are done, that should be
it.  The setup should look something like this:

   |        +------+
            +------+

Overall, a much cleaner setup.

-Oly