Re: New with Linux

Dennis Chambers wrote:

> I am new to Linux so please bear with me.
> I have a 486dx2/66 w/ 16mb ram, a 1.2 GB & 420 MB IDE hds and a Sony 33A 2x cdrom. Debian is setup on the second hd (420MB) on the first primary partition.
> I also run MS-DOS & OS/2 Warp Connect.
>
> My questions are as follows:
> 	1) My mouse is on com4 irq5 yet Debian lists it as having default irq.
> 	    How do I tell it otherwise?

You can change these things in /etc/rc.boot/0setserial

> 	2) Is there a way I can see my OS/2 HPFS drives under Debian?

Yes, you probably have to recompile your kernel with HPFS support enabled.
If your kernel has HPFS support you can mount your HPFS drives (for example
/dev/hda4) with "mount -t hpfs /dev/hda4 /mnt" (maybe you also have to
add "-o ro" since linux can only mount it read-only).

> 	3) Is a floppy boot required or is there a way to get Debian to boot
> 	    off of OS/2's Boot Manager (OS/2's equiv of LILO)?

You only have to install lilo on your linux partition (NOT on the master
boot record). The "boot=" and "root=" lines in your /etc/lilo.conf
should both point to your linux partition.

Example (linux on /dev/hda3)

#/etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda3
root=/dev/hda3
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
label=linux
read-only

You only have to rerun /sbin/lilo now and you should be able to
boot linux from the OS/2 bootmanager.

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de