Re: New with Linux

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Dennis Chambers wrote:

> My questions are as follows:
> 	1) My mouse is on com4 irq5 yet Debian lists it as having default irq.
> 	    How do I tell it otherwise?

>From the serial-howto:

  9.1.  Choosing serial device interrupts

  Your PC will normally come with ttyS0 and ttyS2 at IRQ 4, and ttyS1
  and ttyS3 at IRQ 3.  To use more than 2 serial devices, you will have
  to give up an interrupt to use.  A good choice is to reassign an
  interrupt from your parallel port.  Your PC normally comes with IRQ 5
  and IRQ 7 set up as interrupts for your parallel ports, but few people
  use 2 parallel ports.  You can reassign one of the interrupts to a
  serial device, and still happily use a parallel port.  You will need
  the setserial program to do this.  In addition, you have to play with
  the jumpers on your boards, check the docs for your board.  Set the
  jumpers to the IRQ you want for each port.

  You will need to set things up so that there is one, and only one
  interrupt for each serial device.  Here is how I set mine up in
  /etc/rc.d/rc.local - you should do it upon startup somewhere:

               /etc/setserial /dev/cua0 irq 3          # my serial mouse
               /etc/setserial /dev/cua1 irq 4          # my Wyse dumb terminal
               /etc/setserial /dev/cua2 irq 5          # my Zoom modem
               /etc/setserial /dev/cua3 irq 9          # my USR modem

> 	2) Is there a way I can see my OS/2 HPFS drives under Debian?

By rebuilding the kernel, configured for HPFS support. Everything you
need should be in /usr/src/<version>, including the docs.

> 	3) Is a floppy boot required or is there a way to get Debian to boot
> 	    off of OS/2's Boot Manager (OS/2's equiv of LILO)?

Hmmm... OS/2's boot manager seems to be no good with operating systems
it doesn't know about. You could configure LILO as secondary boot
loader on your Linux root partition, and mark that partition active.
Then tell OS/2's boot manager there is something to boot from that
partition.
Or you could boot Linux using Loadlin and a dos config.sys menu, which
means using dos/Loadlin as a secondary boot loader. Take your pick;
or maybe someone else knows better. I never tried running OS/2 and
Linux on one machine.

Good luck,

 #   sbolt@xs4all.nl   #   Steven Bolt   #   popular science monthly KIJK    #