Install problem

     I am still attempting to install Debian on my laptop.  After
trying different things I found that I could at least get to the
custom menu it I switched from color to monocrome.  I guess it needed
the extra RAM (talk about tight).  Once I got into the menu I shelled
out and setup swap manually.  At this point my lockup problem was
gone.  I'm having problems doing the actual install at this point and
the install doc that I got from debian.org was a little confusing.
     In the install doc it suggests that a first time installer set
up 2 partitions one for the system to run on and a swap partition.
This makes sense.  In the section about mounting the partition there
is a somewhat involved description on mounting something like 6 or 7
partitions.  This cunfused the daylights out of me.  What I was doing
is only mounting /dev/hda1 as /.  Is this correct?
     After installing the boot disk I was prompted for floppy 1.
When I put this floppy in the drive it fold me that this floppy
didn't look like the correct one.  I remade the floppy and had the
same problem.  How can the contents of the floppy be verified?  (If
would be nice if there was something other than rebooting to get out
of this error condition.  It doesn't seem too gracefull.)
     Any help would be greatly appriciated.