Re: New with Linux

> I am new to Linux so please bear with me.

No problem, let's see what we can do...

> I have a 486dx2/66 w/ 16mb ram, a 1.2 GB & 420 MB IDE hds and a Sony
> 33A 2x cdrom. Debian is setup on the second hd (420MB) on the first
> primary partition.  I also run MS-DOS & OS/2 Warp Connect.
>
> My questions are as follows:
> 	1) My mouse is on com4 irq5 yet Debian lists it as having default irq.
> 	    How do I tell it otherwise?

You need to install the setserial packages, and create a file
/etc/rc.boot/serial to configure your serial ports at boot.
You'll probably need something like this:

	#!/bin/sh
	#
	# Set up the serial ports

	if [ -x /bin/setserial ]
	then
		echo "Initialising serial ports..."
		/bin/setserial /dev/cua3 irq 5 spd_normal
	fi

> 	2) Is there a way I can see my OS/2 HPFS drives under Debian?

You can, although the Linux support for HPFS is read-only.  I'm not
sure that the default Debian kernel supports HPFS though, so you may
need to recompile your own kernel and select the HPFS file system.
(so you'll need the source package from the devel directory).

IMHO its always a good idea to compile up your own kernel anyway, since
it reduces the amount of junk drivers you carry around, taking up memory
but not supporting any device you have.  Modules solve this to an extent,
but not completely.  If you're not confident about compiling the kernel,
then there is the Linux Kernel HOWTO, available by ftp from any decent
Linux archive (like sunsite.unc.edu) or a mirror site.

> 	3) Is a floppy boot required or is there a way to get Debian to boot
> 	    off of OS/2's Boot Manager (OS/2's equiv of LILO)?

You can do this.  Off the top of my head I can't tell you how, but I
seem to recall that the details if how to do this are in the
Boot HOWTO, which you can get from your favourite linux ftp site.

> Thanx for having patience with me,

No problem
--
M a l c . . .             |  "We've checked, and it's definitely not a bug.
(malc@thing.demon.co.uk)  |  It's fixed in the new release."  -- Help line.