Re: X works, but no mouse?

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 03:33:30PM -0500, Brent Metzler wrote:
> I noticed no one else replied to this, so I'll give it a stab.
>
> I had a similar problem with the mouse.  The problem seemed to be caused by running
> gpm, the command-line mouse proggie, before X.  This apparently causes conflicts that
> X cannot handle.  when I killed gpm, the mouse seemed to work fine in X.

This is only true for some people.

For instance, when I switch between X and a virtual console, up to a couple
of dozen "gpm: error in protocol" messages get spewed to the system longs
but that's it.  The mouse continues to work.  For some folks, things are
worse and they lose control of the mouse.

Setting up gpm as a repeater with the -R option having the XF86Config use
"/dev/gpmdata" as its mouse device is almost always the solution to these
kinds of mouse problems.

The gpm documentation has more about this.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   The only way to get rid of a temptation
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   is to yield to it.