Re: xwin

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 10:06:29PM +0200, J Horacio M G wrote:
> Sorry to take back on an old issue.
>
> Since Ctrl+Alt+Fn can switch from X to almost any V.C., and supposing
> you can then take on any task under the command line, I'm seeing no real
> point in removing xdm or preventing it from starting the x server on
> startup.
>
> But still, if I wanted to exit X... how do I do it?  The exit menus in WM
> take me back to the X login prompt, they don't take me to the command
> prompt as they used to do in 2.0.

If you want to switch away from the running X server managed by xdm, use
<CTRL-ALT-Fn> as you said.

If you want to stop xdm from managing the current server, press <CTRL-R> at
the xdm login screen.

If you want xdm to stop running, become root and use its init script to
tell it to stop ("/etc/init.d/xdm stop").

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    The software said it required Windows