Re: CD-rom references from Lilo

Nano Nano <40208.nospam@comcast.net> writes:

>> > Where in 2.4.x, you would do hdc=ide-scsi in /etc/lilo.conf, you would
>> > do hdc=cdrom in 2.6.x
>
> Q: Is putting hdc=cdrom equivalent to not putting anything at all?

I'm not an expert, so I'll try to answer the best I can.  At my place
(Sony VAIO laptop), the cdrom didn't get recognized at all unless I had
that line in there.  Looking at the ide.txt file in Documentation
directory of the kernel, it seems to indicate that 'normally' the system
should recognize the cdrom automatically. If it doesn't, you have that
add the '=cdrom' there.  So, the short answer, there might be a difference,
but it depends on your hardware.

> I.e., will ide-cd get loaded by default?  (I tried this and my kern.log
> looked the same...)

No.  From what I understand is just pointer to the kernel, so it knows
that the device is a cdrom instead of a harddisk.

> Q: The same CD track takes :19 seconds with hdc=cdrom or nothing and :15
> seconds with ide-scsi to rip with cdparanoia (2nd time through; to warm
> first).  cdparanoia recommends using ide-scsi for faster ripping; should
> I expect this to continue to hold true in Kernel 2.6?

I haven't timed it, so I don't know if it's faster.  Linus has made it
pretty clear that the scsi emulation for ide is going away, though.  And
he doesn't seem to be afraid to break cdparanoia if it's necessary.

--
John L. Fjellstad