framebuffer problems with compiled kernels

I've tried several times to compile a custom Debian kernel (using make-kpkg
and Debian kernel sources), but every time I installed the new kernel I don't
see anything in the console; if I put vga=normal in lilo.conf then it works
(but I get an ugly 25x80 console).

What I do is this:

1. install kernel-source and kernel-headers (2.6.2)
2. patch the kernel to use packet writing
3. make-kpkg clean
4. make xconfig (I only change the packet writing options, everything else is
like the stock kernel, I think 'make-kpkg clean' copy /boot/config-XXX
to .config)
5. make-kpkg --append_to_version -tvs --initrd --revision=r01 kernel_image

Obviously I'm doing something wrong because the framebuffer never work with my
compiled kernels (and it DOES work with the kernels built by Debian), but I
can't figure it out, anybody got any hints?

Toshiro.

PS: Framebuffer support is set to 'm' in config (CONFIG_FB_VESA=y); my video
card is a Geforce2 MX400

Nueva forma de conectarse a internet en URUGUAY
Tel. 0909.20.30   =>   Acceso 100% digital 56K!
Promocion lanzamiento: $0,10 mas IVA el minuto.
http://www.internet.com.uy - Internet en serio.