Re: CD-rom references from Lilo

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 01:59:11AM +0100, John L Fjellstad wrote:

> I'm not an expert, so I'll try to answer the best I can.  At my place
> (Sony VAIO laptop), the cdrom didn't get recognized at all unless I had
> that line in there.  Looking at the ide.txt file in Documentation
> directory of the kernel, it seems to indicate that 'normally' the system
> should recognize the cdrom automatically. If it doesn't, you have that
> add the '=cdrom' there.  So, the short answer, there might be a difference,
> but it depends on your hardware.

Thanks, great answer.  My ATAPI EIDE CDROM, DVD-ROM, and DVD+/-RW drives
(yes, I have three in my PC) all most definitely work without any =cdrom
lines.  They are just faster at ripping with the ide-scsi, even under
2.6.  (I expect a future cdparanoia upgrade will fix that).

So the question is: what "mode" are these things in if they aren't in
the "ide-cd" mode or "ide-scsi" mode.  Probably this is an ignorant
question asked by one in ignorance :-)