Re: Shutdown and reboot doesn't unmount partitions

Hi Deboo,

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:43:25PM +0530, Deboo wrote:
> At times while shutting down the system, I have seen that init doesn't
> start the kill processes and the machine just reboots or turns off
> suddenly, without unmounting the partitions which causes lots of troubles
> the next time the machine boos. Just yesterday, this happened again and at

Check /etc/rc0.d .
It should contain these symlinks, among others:
S20sendsigs
S40umountfs
S90halt .
These are executed one after the other and do what their names say. If they
*are* there, check your syslog for unusual messages.

> the next boot, fsck ran and most of the time after running fsck, I am
> brought to a single user prompt and get some inconsistency error and it
> says that I should manually run fsck. Now if there were such errors, then
> why does it waste time running fsck automatically and wasting my time? Why
> does this happen is beyond my reach. Can someone explain what to do?
>

> My root partition is 10 GB. I used to make it small, a separate /var, /usr
> and a big home partition. But quite sometime ago, many people on this list
> suggested me to make just one big partition if I were to remain on the
> safe side but now by experience, I guess it's better to have many small
> partitions than one big root partition. Atleast it saves the time when
> fscking.

You are right. But still, try to find the mistake.

> Regards,
> Deboo

HTH
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

# Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
# your ~/.signature to help me spread!