Re: DVD copying and CSS

Incoming from John Hasler:
> Vineet Kumar writes:
> > This way if anything gets scratched, stolen, melted on the dash, etc.,
> > I'm only out the cost of CDRs.
>
> But the publisher has lost the sale of a replacement CD, which is why they
> don't want you to do it (of course, if the CD only cost a buck or two you
> probably wouldn't).

Previously, this was accepted behaviour; making backup copies of
originals was just something that was done.  Back then, nobody would
consider buying if this wasn't allowed.  This is still the case in
some countries (cf. Sklyarov).  If I'm not mistaken, this falls under
"fair use" provisions of copyright law, and the last I heard, these
provisions have not been repealed.

> > Why wouldn't someone with a portable DVD player want to use the same
> > method?  Why shouldn't she be allowed to?
>
> Why does copyright exist?
>
> I'm not sure copyright should exist, but I think those of you who think it
> should and yet want to carve out special exceptions for your own
> convenience are being hypocritical.

I think that accusation is better pointed at the publishers.  They're
the ones who are manipulating lawmakers and changing the rules after
the fact.

Here in Canada, the CRIA is going after people who have (presumably)
paid for music CDs (uploaders), while downloaders (freeloaders) are
ignored.  iTunes doesn't exist in Canada.  We have something else which
is only usable by non-Mac users.

This ridiculous situation is one of the publishers' making.  They've
no right to complain except to their toady politicians who screwed up
the implementation.

- -