Shutdown and reboot doesn't unmount partitions

At times while shutting down the system, I have seen that init doesn't
start the kill processes and the machine just reboots or turns off
suddenly, without unmounting the partitions which causes lots of troubles
the next time the machine boos. Just yesterday, this happened again and at
the next boot, fsck ran and most of the time after running fsck, I am
brought to a single user prompt and get some inconsistency error and it
says that I should manually run fsck. Now if there were such errors, then
why does it waste time running fsck automatically and wasting my time? Why
does this happen is beyond my reach. Can someone explain what to do?

My root partition is 10 GB. I used to make it small, a separate /var, /usr
and a big home partition. But quite sometime ago, many people on this list
suggested me to make just one big partition if I were to remain on the
safe side but now by experience, I guess it's better to have many small
partitions than one big root partition. Atleast it saves the time when
fscking.

Regards,
Deboo