Re: Regression testing of tetex

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> > One thing that I am worried, from my perspective is that i18n isn't
>> > too tested, because it's often not obvious how to run tex files of
>> > languages other than your own.
>>
>> The language documentation packages of texlive should provide some
>> examples.  tetex also has some - do you want us to collect a list?
>
> A pointer would be nice.

I'll have a look.

> Considering that the text seems to be dated since 2001, and PDF is
> dated 2003, somebody built it but never noticed it was actually
> broken.

I don't know whether anybody among the texlive developers knew japanese
in 2003.  Norbert does, and Werner Lemberg probably too (at least he
maintains some CJK things).

> For handling Japanese text, I'm using 'ptex' which is a variant of
> tex.  ptex doesn't have pdflatex etc., and it's lagging behind
> somewhat, but that's the current state-of-affairs. There's also jtex.
> Since they are derivatives texen, using some parts of tetex, they are
> sometimes broken by new tetex uploads (which I tend to notice just
> when my monthly presentation is due in few hours.)

That's a problem of manpower, obviously:  I filed the first bug against
ptex long ago, IIRC even before we uploaded teTeX 3.0 to unstable, but
nobody worked on it.  I tried several times, but only to notice that it
needs a new upstream version, and this I didn't want to do in an NMU.

> Another thing that is different is the 'stream' which presumably is
> the embedded font data.  The font data itself seems to be the same,
> but the name embedded in the header portion of the binary is
> different.
>
> I guess I can work around that by not embeddeding the font.

If that's possible... Have you tried with pdftex?  I'm asking because

a) that's what I used, and it worked

b) I just learned that the version in teTeX 3.0 isn't able to compress
   all stream objects (or something like that), whereas the upcoming
   1.40 is, and can be switched to different compression schemes.

Debian Developer (teTeX)