Re: Regression testing of tetex

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:

> The process that cannot really be automated is:
>
> 3. making sure that the resulting text is same, or reasonable.

Even this could be done in principle.  When the commands

\pdfinfo{/CreationDate (2004-06-13)} % an arbitrary date
\year=1980 \month=9 \day=9 \time=10
\pdfcompresslevel0

are included in a TeX document, pdf(la)TeX will produce identical,
grep'able files with different runs.

> This is what I've been meaning to look at for the last few months and
> have not gone around to doing, maybe I'll have a chunk of time
> available at Debconf to start off, but I've wanted to do a brain-dump
> so that others know of what I'm thinking.

I think this is a very good idea, and a valuable addition.  Any patches
are extremely welcome!

Actually I've had a similar project in mind for a couple of months now,
but didn't manage to really start it, and that is regression testing for
LaTeX package writers.  I've already set this up for one particular
package of mine, but I intend to generalize it, so that you can use the
framework to write tests for any style file (or even for a document, for
that matter).

Debian Developer (teTeX)