Re: Cannot boot xp

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:28:01PM +0100, xerces8 wrote:
> From: "xerces8" <xerces8@butn.net>
>
> BACKUP the partition table to somewhere where you can access
> it if you break the disk layout ! Like on a floppy or network drive.
> "sfdisk -d > part_table_backup" is a good backup IMO.

"dd if=/dev/hda of=/floppy/mbr.backup bs=512 count=1" looks like a
better one to me.  Altho that copies the mbr as well which might be
undesirable under certain circumstances.  IIRC only the last 64 bytes
of that file will be the partition talbe but you should really check
these things before you do them.

Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom