Re: Cannot boot xp

From: "xerces8" <xerces8@butn.net>

> From: RLX <rlx36@gmx.de>
>
> > xerces8 schrieb:
> >
> > >From: RLX <rlx36@gmx.de>

> > >Is this the old Fedora Core 2 problem ?
> > >
> > Hi
> > Not really. I'm working with Debian Sarge.
> > I first noticed this when trying out UBUNTU Debian.
> > First I thought this could be some sort of idiosyncrasy of ubuntu. But
> > this happened also with sarge.
> > Well, after some 4 reinstalls, I had a look at the BIOS and tried this
> > change from auto to LBA.
>
> No, what I meant was : "Is this the FC2 bug appearing in Sarge ?"
> As FedoraCore2 had a problem very similar to this: After instaling it,
> the previous Windows system did not boot any more. One workaround was
> to set the hd mode to LBA in BIOS.
> It would be really a shame if this is the same bug.

I looked at my system and I have the same problem :-)

The fix was :
 - sfdisk -d /dev/hdc | sfdisk -H 255 -S 63 --force /dev/hdc

WARNING ! DO NOT BLINDLY COPY THE ABOVE !
BACKUP the partition table to somewhere where you can access
it if you break the disk layout ! Like on a floppy or network drive.
"sfdisk -d > part_table_backup" is a good backup IMO.

 - read the sfdisk man
 - set BIOS disk mode to LBA and boot grub. Do not select an OS but go to
   the command line by pressing 'c', then enter : geometry (hd0)
 - note the output. If the head and sector numbers are 255 and 63, then
   proceed and use the same fix as I did. Otherwiese use your own numbers.
 - then you can set the BIOS disk option back to AUTO.

Is this bug reported ?

Regards,
David