Cannot boot xp

About a week ago I installed a i386 testing machine, and enjoyed it. But today I tried to boot xp and I got the following message from grub:
Filesystem type unknown,  partition type 0x7.
and it would not boot xp.
I tried to go like the following:
cfdisk and then change type to ntfs either 86 or 87.
I then got the same message with the partition type updated to either 86 or 87.
I have not lost anything yet, I can brows the windowws partition.
Can I fix that without re-installing xp?
If not, can I re-install xp without losing debian? (I think I read somewhere it is possible from within grub??)
Thierry