Re: why is sarge "minimal" intall so huge compared to woody?

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:46:04PM +0000, Joao Clemente wrote:
> Michael Stone wrote:
> >On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 02:53:46PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> >
> >>And it is not possibel for me, to backup some 100 GBytes of
> >>data via Internet. So SARGE is USELESS for server upgrades.
> >

> >No, sarge is useless *for you* because you have ridiculously small
> >partitions. You decided to partition the way you did. Don't
> >overgeneralize the problem--many other people have no problem with
> >upgrades on a server.
>
> Hi Mike. Not wanting to enter a flame war here, I must disagree with
> you. I think Michelle has a point here:
> Comparing to the disk space we need to get a woody server running,
> setting up a Sarge for the same things takes a lot more of space. And,
> if one is happy with the services the woody server is providing, there
> seems to be no reason to have a 3x bigger installation to provide the
> same services with sarge.
>
> I'm not saying sarge is not usefull. I'm just saying that, in this
> particular scenario, it is wasting lots of space for doing the same
> thing that woody does requiring a lot less disk space.
>
> And ok, one must admit that recent hardware does not have disk space
> problems, but maybe I'm still an "old time" admin, I like my server
> installs as compact as possible..
>
> Joao Clemente

If you really believe that it is doing "the same stuff" that Woody did,
then you are certainly welcome to keep Woody installed and not upgrade.
My first Linux system ran on < 100 megs, total, and got downloaded on
floppies. I believe that system is, in fact, still available somewhere for
folks to download and install.

However. If you believe that something in that 3x larger installation
serves no purpose and should be removed, in the name of saving space, I
invite you to specify what it is, how much space it will save, and what the
consequences will be for removing it from 'standard'. Given the amount of
effort I have seen being put into trying to keep the standard install size
*down*, I think it's only fair to expect people who want it to go smaller
to offer their suggestions for how to accomplish that.
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :