Re: why is sarge "minimal" intall so huge compared to woody?

Michael Stone wrote:
On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 02:53:46PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:

And it is not possibel for me, to backup some 100 GBytes of
data via Internet. So SARGE is USELESS for server upgrades.

No, sarge is useless *for you* because you have ridiculously small
partitions. You decided to partition the way you did. Don't
overgeneralize the problem--many other people have no problem with
upgrades on a server.

Hi Mike. Not wanting to enter a flame war here, I must disagree with you. I think Michelle has a point here: Comparing to the disk space we need to get a woody server running, setting up a Sarge for the same things takes a lot more of space. And, if one is happy with the services the woody server is providing, there seems to be no reason to have a 3x bigger installation to provide the same services with sarge.

I'm not saying sarge is not usefull. I'm just saying that, in this particular scenario, it is wasting lots of space for doing the same thing that woody does requiring a lot less disk space.

And ok, one must admit that recent hardware does not have disk space problems, but maybe I'm still an "old time" admin, I like my server installs as compact as possible..

Joao Clemente