Re: why is sarge "minimal" intall so huge compared to woody?

Michelle Konzack wrote:
Same installation normal is around 16.000 files und with SARGE
around 21.000 files. I do not know, what the package maintainers
do but I think, some packages can be splited.

Actually, I have given this some tought some time ago, and I have the feeling that yes, almost every package could be splitted.. I think some years ago I saw some splitting in a rpm distro that had a "foo" package and a "foo-docs" package...

Picking up what Andrew said also:
"You may have to do things like delete /usr/share/doc on such a machine."

I actually thing something like this would make sense and would reduce LOTS of used space in a multiple server install, or usefull in environments where one has separated "production" and "development" networks:

Package foo that had, for example
/usb/bin/foo
/usr/share/man/foo
/usr/share/docs/foo/foo.html

Could be slipe in "foo", "foo-man" and "foo-docs"
If one had
/usr/share/docs/foo/en/foo.html
/usr/share/docs/foo/fr/foo.html
/usr/share/docs/foo/pt/foo.html
we could have packages "foo-docs-en", "foo-docs-fr", "foo-docs-pt"
(If I speak portuguese why do I need documentation in spanish, german, russian, italian, greek, chinese, ..., to use the binary?!?)

Just a tought
Joao Clemente