Re: Lost sound in Sarge after recent updates

[Warning: this is a "me, too" post :-)]

Jim Seymour wrote:

After updates in the past couple of weeks I have lost sound in Sarge. I

Same as me, I've lost sound capability on Sarge after some update, but didn't pay attention because I thought it was a side effect of a power fail happened just during a (huge) update, that caused some (many...) lost files and probably broke my 2nd hard disk (doh!)... but the sound thing is a separate issue, as I'm reading...

am running Debian kernel 2.6.8 and using alsa for the Audigy 2 sound
card. I have tried disabling apic and acpi. The card shows up in the
bios messages and lspci. However dmesg displays the following error:

EMU10K1_Audigy: probe of 0000:01:07.0 failed with error -12

Same kernel version, a motherboard with integrated audio card, kernel module snd_via82xx correctly loaded and working until 2/3 weeks ago. No errors while booting nor in the logs, but... the audio simply doesn't play anymore. I noticed this: I start xmms from an rxvt, it shows up with the volume slider zeroed, and as I move it rightward some error messages appear in the console:

** WARNING **: oss_set_volume(): Failed to open mixer device (/dev/mixer): No such device

And, obviously:

picard@romula:~$ ls -la /dev/mixer*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root      11 Jan 25 01:01 /dev/mixer -> /dev/mixer0
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14,  0 Jan 25 01:01 /dev/mixer0
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 16 Jan 25 01:01 /dev/mixer1
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 32 Jan 25 01:01 /dev/mixer2
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 48 Jan 25 01:01 /dev/mixer3
picard@romula:~$

And, sure, my user is in audio group (and, it *worked* before). Sound card and speakers works fine, i tried while in $expensive_os without problems...

Well, just my 0.02 EUR to get to a solution (and sorry for language mistakes ^_^)

--
                 Ora piu' che mai, ANCONA SIAMO NOI!!!