Re: Sparc64 Install Problem

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:10:42PM -0400, Bill Meahan wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:56:36 -0700
> Andrew Sharp <andy@ccpu.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 05:28:02PM -0400, Bill Meahan wrote:
> >  [snip]

exactly.

> > Well, what you are possibly talking about isn't about PC assumptions
> > at all, I think.  Once the packages are downloaded/copied, and they
> > are started to install, some of them have postinstall/configure
> > scripts. These are there to help you, and don't really have anything
>
> Note I put "PC" in quotes. A more general term would be "workstation"
> for the point I was aiming at. Example: why force the definition of the
> keyboard and mouse when there is no keyboard or mouse?

Well, believe it or not, there is almost a good reason for the keyboard
thing even if the system doesn't have one, but I'm sure there were other
things besides this, as the keyboard question comes and goes
quickly and harmlessly.

> I don't mean to start any kind of flame-fest!

Not at all.  And it wasn't taken that way.

> What I do want to
> accomplish is to sensitize folks to the idea that unconfirmed
> assumptions can make life _really_ painful for others and "good
> installer" doesn't automatically mean "GUI," it just means it's really
> well thought out from a _users_ point of view. That's all.

[hp-ux madness gone]

> I'm going to be putting woody on a couple of SPARCStations (an IPX and
> an LX) next week. I'll try and be really specific if I run into any
> problems:-) :-)

OK, installing anything on an IPX is gonna be painful.  But yeah, try to
see if it's as bad as you remember it.  ~:^)  Just a quick tip, I think
I hear on this list that the best thing for this is just go straight to
the net boot install method, unless you have a cdrom drive for it.
Never say "yes" to anything involving a floppy on the installation
procedure for Debian/Sparc.  That's my rule of thumb.