Re: Sparc64 Install Problem

> I'm trying to install 3.0 on a Sun Ultra2 using CDs created with jigdo.
> This is my first experience with Debian. Here is what I've done...

I just did this on an Ultra1.

> 1. Booted with CD1, got the boot: prompt and hit Enter.
> 2. Got an error "/boot/sparc64.gz not found" or something similar.
> 3. Looked at the CD contents and found /boot/sparc64 without the gz
> suffix.
> 4. At the boot: prompt I entered "/boot/sparc64" and hit Enter.

Instead, I booted with the "rescue" image which, for whatever reason, did
a normal install. Here's what I did:

ok> boot cdrom
 . . . blah blah blah . . .
SILO: rescue
 . . . normal installation occurs here . . .

> 5. The computer begins to boot, I see the normal Linux screen as it
> boots.
> 6. During boot a kernel panic occurs...
>
> Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream
> Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

I love Linux error messages. A little humour can go a long way. You would
have to specify where your root is. With a CD boot, I don't know what it'd
be... you specify it like this:

SILO: linux root=/dev/XYZ

But since you're trying to install, what device you mount as root I can't
remember. It'd be the RAMdisk image that is loaded up.

But again, like I said, when I chose "rescue" target to boot, that
actually got me into the normal installation.

--
tim ellis
senior database architect