Re: Sparc64 Install Problem

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:56:36 -0700
Andrew Sharp <andy@ccpu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 05:28:02PM -0400, Bill Meahan wrote:

> I take it this is after the part of the install that takes place
> before a reboot happens.  One should always check silo.conf and such
> before rebooting.  It usually gets it right, but it doesn't hurt to
> check.

Happens quite early in the process IIRC

> This is a long and rambling counterpoint to Bill's comparison of
> Debian woody install to Solaris 9 install.  Delete now if you don't
> care.
>
>  [snip]
>
> Well, what you are possibly talking about isn't about PC assumptions
> at all, I think.  Once the packages are downloaded/copied, and they
> are started to install, some of them have postinstall/configure
> scripts. These are there to help you, and don't really have anything

Note I put "PC" in quotes. A more general term would be "workstation"
for the point I was aiming at. Example: why force the definition of the
keyboard and mouse when there is no keyboard or mouse?

I don't mean to start any kind of flame-fest! What I do want to
accomplish is to sensitize folks to the idea that unconfirmed
assumptions can make life _really_ painful for others and "good
installer" doesn't automatically mean "GUI," it just means it's really
well thought out from a _users_ point of view. That's all.

No Debian install (or Solaris for that matter) will ever be as bad as
the fiasco I had with an HP-UX machine. That bastard assumed it would be
connected to a network (even though the install was from a CD) and by
thunder, it would try and do a network query of one sort or another
every few steps then wait with a 5-minute timeout before moving on.
Even plugging in a network cable didn't help because it was trying to
force the connect speed rather than autonegotiate. Oh yeah, because of
that, it was impossible to get in and alter anything until well into
the install. Literally took a couple of DAYS! Needless to say, HP made
some "significant" changes and later editions were much, much better!

I'm going to be putting woody on a couple of SPARCStations (an IPX and
an LX) next week. I'll try and be really specific if I run into any
problems:-) :-)

Peace to all!

--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG         wmeahan@wa8tzg.org
"Never ascribe to mailce what can be adequately explained