Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

Hi Lucas, hi all,

Le Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:27:49PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

>   When a package has been NMUed, the maintainer should acknowledge it in
>   the next upload.  This makes clear that the changes were accepted in
>   the maintainer's packaging, and that they aren't lost again.  For
>   this, you must first incorporate the changes into your [-packaging, by
>   applying the patch that was sent.-] {+package, as far as you want to
>   keep them.+} Make sure to include the NMU's changelog entry {+(not
>   just the line describing the changes)+} in your own changelog. This is
>   important to allow the BTS version tracking to work.

Are you sure that the BTS can not operate without the changelogs? Can't
we do this using the email interface? In this case, the sentence could
be reformulated like "The preferred way to interact with the BTS for
NMUs is through the changelog." (If this is the intent).

>   When doing an NMU, you must always send a patch with the differences
>   between the current package and your NMU to the BTS.  If the bug you
>   are fixing isn't reported yet, you must do that as well.
>
>   {+After you upload an NMU, you are responsible for the possible
>   problems that you might have introduced. You must monitor the package
>   for a few weeks (subscribing to the package on the PTS is a good
>   idea).+}
>
>   While there are no general rules, it's recommended to upload to the
>   DELAYED queue with a delay of at least a few days. Here are some
>   examples that you could use as default values:

Since the maintainer has the duty of caring of the NMU even if it does
not come at the best timing, can you add the corresponding duty for the
NMUer to try to contact the maintainer? For instance, one could add:
The use of the DELAYED queue is mandatory when no contact was
established with the maintainer before the upload.

(To mitigate the "I'm so busy helping you that I can't talk to you.'"
behaviours.)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy