Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On 26/05/2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
> It depends on how important are the VCS and package histories for the
> maintainer and Debian. In order to acknowledge the NMU, it would be
> necessary to revert the current work, apply the NMU patch, merge the
> reverted work and resolve the conflicts.

It looks to me like the wording of the 3rd paragraph of 5.11.2 is a bit
(too) strong: one must include the patch. It might be relaxed a bit so
that the maintainer is still allowed to implement the changes the way
s/he intends, rather than having to include the very patch sent to the
BTS.

> This is why the last time one of my package had a NMU, I just ignored
> it instead of acknowledging it (the upload I made would have closed
> the bug as well).

In which case, I'd probably dosomething like ACK'ing the NMU, adding a
“thanks to $nmuer, although the final implementation differs [details]”.

Mraw,
KiBi.