Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:56:12AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 26/05/2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > It depends on how important are the VCS and package histories for the
> > maintainer and Debian. In order to acknowledge the NMU, it would be
> > necessary to revert the current work, apply the NMU patch, merge the
> > reverted work and resolve the conflicts.
>
> It looks to me like the wording of the 3rd paragraph of 5.11.2 is a bit
> (too) strong: one must include the patch. It might be relaxed a bit so
> that the maintainer is still allowed to implement the changes the way
> s/he intends, rather than having to include the very patch sent to the
> BTS.

The proposal is to use the DELAYED queue as the default way to do an
NMU.  This means in particular that the code is already finished when
the mail about the NMU is sent to the BTS.  So there is no reason to
allow changes to the patch after this mail; if you need them, cancel the
NMU and upload an other one instead (sending the new patch to the BTS).

Also note that because of the "do what you think is right, these are
only guidelines"-approach, it may be acceptable to cancel an NMU and
upload a new one with a very short delay.  IMO you shouldn't do that in
most cases, but it can happen.  Especially if the new patch is almost
identical to the previous one.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html