Re: Google ads on debian.org

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:48:38 -0500, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> said:

> * Alexander Schmehl (alexander@schmehl.info) wrote:
>> * martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [041213 18:14]:
>> > more money is always good.
>>
>> AFAIK Debian has more money, than we can (usefully) spend (at our
>> current rate).  I think that was pointed out just a feek weeks ago
>> in the "donate for e-Mail account" discussion.
>>
>> I startet to use Debian, because it was not commercial, it was
>> entire free, and I'm afraid, this will be the first step in the
>> wrong direction.  It will lower our principles, and it will become
>> precedent case for our future doing.

> This gloom-and-doom prediction is really getting old.  No, it
> wouldn't become a precedent, no, it wouldn't lower our principles,

	Yes, it does, in my opinion.

> no, it's not a step towards making Debian no longer free.  It's a

	When you bring money into the picture, everything changes.
 Indeed, it is the love of money that ...

> couple ads on our web page to bring in a (probably small) revenue
> stream.

	Why do we need to do that? Have you considered that donation
 of services etc may dry up if people think Debian already has a
 revenue stream?  You think that other people won't think of Debian as
 yet another red hat if we started a "steady revenue stream"?

	Perceptions count.

> There are a number of other open source and free software websites
> which do this, it's not anything new and it certainly doesn't make
> you look like a commercial website, if anything it makes you look
> like *less* commercial.

	In your opinion. In mine, it means you have sold out.

	manoj

--
Romeo wasn't bilked in a day. Walt Kelly, "Ten Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed
Years With Pogo"