Re: Disappearance of experimental packages in dselect

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 23:03, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2003, at 11:43 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> >> 	Yep, it says 1.  At one point, to force dselect to show me the
> >> experimental packages, I had edited my sources.list to have only
> >> http://http.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main.  Could that
> >> have given it the value of 1 that you seem to find unusual?
> >
> > Ah, possibly. You should probably revert to the canonical form.
> >
> Michel,
> 	Well, I guess this begs the question: "What does it mean to 'revert to
> the canonical form'?"

I meant the canonical form of the sources.list lines, but I misread some
of the above, so that can probably be ignored; I have no idea why it's 1
basically. :\ Then again, I'm not even sure it matters...

> As for the front end I am using, for now I am still speaking of dselect.

Which may still not support multiple package versions, in which case I
wouldn't expect to find anything about them in its documentation...

> If dselect is so poor, why is it the default recommendation on all the
> Debian documentation?

Tradition, and I think aptitude didn't quite make it to be usable enough
for woody. AFAIK this will change for sarge though.

> [...] have since read the following man pages: dselect, sources.list,
> dpkg, apt-get, deb, and apt-cache.

Thanks.

> So far the only reference to specifying a specific version of a package
> has been in the apt-get man page, where it mentions /etc/apt/preferences
> and its use for "pinning".

Pinning is the most powerful and complex way; as I hinted in an earlier
post, -t/--target-release/--default-release is another way, there's also
package/distribution to select the distribution for a single package.

Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer