Re: Disappearance of experimental packages in dselect

On Dec 2, 2003, at 7:50 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 04:52, Barry Hawkins wrote:

	The problem is that the xserver and xfree86 packages for 4.3.0.1 are
no longer appearing in dselect.  An initial install as I was learning
to use dselect ended up with mostly 4.3.0.1 packages but some 4.2.1
packages, so I purged all of the x-related packages. Afterward, only a
couple of library packages like libmesa and another one from the
4.3.0.1 packages in experimental are showing up. Any idea what I might
be doing wrong?

You're using dselect. :) Seriously though, if

apt-cache policy xserver-xfree86

shows the experimental version, I recommend trying an APT frontend like
aptitude.

Michel,
Thanks for the suggestion. Here is the output of the command you suggested:

localhost:~# apt-cache policy xserver-xfree86
xserver-xfree86:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.2.1-14
  Version Table:
     4.3.0-0pre1v4 0
          1 ftp://ftp.debian.org main/binary-powerpc/ Packages
1 http://http.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main Packages
     4.2.1-14 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
        500 ftp://debian.mirrors.pair.com unstable/main Packages

So, when one has two versions of a package, how does said one imply the installation of a particular version? Also, what are those integers prefacing the URIs beneath the version numbers, 1 and 500? I have to wait until tonight to install aptitude. Is it really that much better at dealing with my issue than dselect?

Diligently,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed