Re: Disappearance of experimental packages in dselect

On Dec 2, 2003, at 11:43 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 17:31, Barry Hawkins wrote:
On Dec 2, 2003, at 11:10 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 16:37, Barry Hawkins wrote:

localhost:~# apt-cache policy xserver-xfree86
xserver-xfree86:
   Installed: (none)
   Candidate: 4.2.1-14
   Version Table:
      4.3.0-0pre1v4 0
           1 ftp://ftp.debian.org main/binary-powerpc/ Packages
           1 http://http.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main

[...]

	Yep, it says 1.  At one point, to force dselect to show me the
experimental packages, I had edited my sources.list to have only
http://http.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main.  Could that
have given it the value of 1 that you seem to find unusual?

Ah, possibly. You should probably revert to the canonical form.

Michel,
Well, I guess this begs the question: "What does it mean to 'revert to the canonical form'?" As for the front end I am using, for now I am still speaking of dselect. If dselect is so poor, why is it the default recommendation on all the Debian documentation? As for the reference earlier to reading the documentation for the front end, I went through the "dselect Documentation for Beginners" tutorial at <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/dselect-beginner>, read the inline help within all dselect screens as suggested in the documentation, and have since read the following man pages: dselect, sources.list, dpkg, apt-get, deb, and apt-cache. So far the only reference to specifying a specific version of a package has been in the apt-get man page, where it mentions /etc/apt/preferences and its use for "pinning". I have yet to find a reference to canonical form, much less how to revert to it.

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed