Re: Color depth issues (was Re: XF4 binaries, ...)

Peter Abrahamsen wrote:

> Hmm. If I were to disable UseFBDev while console was on control, then start
> X, would I have both the console and X active at the same time (that is,
> updating the screen)? I suspect not, but it'd be nice...

Don't think so.

> > Peter, have you verified that matroxfb works as fb0?
>
> Nono, I thought the problem might be that I'm using it on something that
> /wasn't/ a matrox card. The same kernel will boot with console on whichever
> device macos had the menubar on, so both the drivers work individually.

I have to admit I don't fully understand what you say here, but it sounds like
you are using offb ('No Video Driver' in BootX) - is this so?

> However, the device that doesn't have the console on it doesn't get
> initiallized, or has randomness on it (you know, the stereogram-looking
> things).

Do you specify a video=...:... for the second head as well?

> I have tried booting to chaos and running X on the aty128rage. It works, but
> only the active framebuffer gets updated, and the aty display is left in a
> strange state when I switch to console - as if it got halfway to shifting to
> a lower resolution.

I guess the X server relies on the kernel to handle the display when it's
switched away, but the kernel doesn't handle it (doesn't even know about it).

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project