Color depth issues (was Re: XF4 binaries, ...)

Quoting Peter Abrahamsen <peter@abrahamsen.com>:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 08:35:29PM +0200, Hadess wrote:
> > And for the XF4 binaries (not in .deb, but shouldn't mess up your
> config to
> > much), are at http://hadess.net/files/xf4
>
> Hey, thanks for these. The server responds well - very spiffy,
> especially
> after using Xpmac for a while.
>
> There's some strangeness with XF4 I'd like to see if you can figure out.
> If
> I start X in 16-bit depth, everything is very, very green. But if I
> start in
> 15-bit, it's fine. I think 24-bit is ok, too. Do you know why this might
> be?
> I'm using a Rage 128 Pro card (Vendor id=1002, Device id=5245 according
> /proc/pci) in a 7600 with a monitor also attached to control. I believe
> this
> problem has always happened to me, but I don't remember if it's ever
> since I
> got the card, or ever since I tried XF4. I believe it's the former...

Me guesses that these are issues with the kernel frame-buffer that the driver is
still using. Michel and Ani might have more information on this. The Mach64
driver has the same issues right now.

> Also, does anyone kow how to set up a terminal on fb1? It's just got
> something that looks like a stereogram on it now. fbgetty will set up a
> getty on a terminal and tell me it's using fb1, but it's very clearly
> just
> where the rest of them are. I found a program called con2fb which is
> supposed to be able to move ttys between fbs, but it caused a kernel
> panic.
> I think it might only be for Matrox cards; dunno. Thanks for any advice.

I think you forgot to CC debian-powerpc. If anybody can help with this, as I
never tweaked that much with the frane-buffer (Geert ?).

> TIA, ciao,
>
> Peter

Hope this helps

/Hadess