Re: Color depth issues (was Re: XF4 binaries, ...)

Hadess wrote:

> > There's some strangeness with XF4 I'd like to see if you can figure out.
> > If I start X in 16-bit depth, everything is very, very green. But if I
> > start in 15-bit, it's fine. I think 24-bit is ok, too. Do you know why
> > this might be?
> > I'm using a Rage 128 Pro card (Vendor id=1002, Device id=5245 according to
> > /proc/pci) in a 7600 with a monitor also attached to control. I believe
> > this problem has always happened to me, but I don't remember if it's ever
> > since I got the card, or ever since I tried XF4. I believe it's the
> > former...
>
> Me guesses that these are issues with the kernel frame-buffer that the
> driver is still using. Michel and Ani might have more information on this.

I don't think Ani is on this list, but it doesn't really matter as I know
what's going on :)

aty128fb is broken. Even when it's told to use depth 16, it uses 15 in fact.
D'oh.

I've tried fixing it, but failed in my first attempt. Brad Douglas, the
current aty128fb maintainer, said it should be easy to fix and that he would
contact me on the fix. Hasn't happened yet...

> The Mach64 driver has the same issues right now.

So atyfb is probably broken as well.

Depth 16 does work in the DRI ppc-1-0-0 branch without Option "UseFBDev". It's
also got options to override panel dimensions to enable Pismo users to use
several resolutions.

> > Also, does anyone kow how to set up a terminal on fb1? It's just got
> > something that looks like a stereogram on it now. fbgetty will set up a
> > getty on a terminal and tell me it's using fb1, but it's very clearly
> > just where the rest of them are. I found a program called con2fb which is
> > supposed to be able to move ttys between fbs, but it caused a kernel
> > panic.
> > I think it might only be for Matrox cards; dunno. Thanks for any advice.

Peter, have you verified that matroxfb works as fb0?

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project