Re: language for changelog

On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 12:44:27AM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
> > I would like to second Anthony and others here.  English is not every
> > useres strong point, nor is it always a maintainers.  I would rather see
> > changelog.eng and copyright.eng.  It seems wrong to force everyone to
> > use any one language -- English, German or whatever.  And for packages
> > like Anthony's xcin, this makes more sense.  I see few people caring
> > about the English translation (maybe Guy when he uploads it).
>
>  El problema aquí es que si usamos nuestra lengua materna, todos los que no
> la entienden se quedan afuera. No importa si a mí me sirve o no leer los
> cambios en tu paquete, el tema es que *debería poder hacerlo*.
>
> ===
>
>  Did you understund me?  ;)

Well, thanks to http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/:

  The problem is here that if we used our maternal language, all those that
  does not understand it are outside. It does not matter if to me it serves
  to me or not to read the changes in your package, the subject is that
  * it would have to be able to do it *.

>  Changelogs, bug reports, package descriptions, are documents that pieces of
> information that build the skeleton of the distribution. Everybody should be
> able to read changes made in any program.

I agree, and I am not saying that not to use English in changelogs and other
documents.  All I am saying is that it should be okay to include other
languages in these files too, especially for language-specific packages, as
long as the maintainer has tried his/her best to provide an English
translation or at least a summary.  Not all of us are professional
translators, you know?  :-)

>  I agree that it's rather sad to have to use English for this, it would be
> better to have a contry-neutral language (Cu vi povas paroli Esperanton?).
> But we can't have all we want in life.. =)

Wow, you know Esperanto too?  ;-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada