Re: language for changelog

>>>>> On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:52:11 +0200 (CEST), Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> said:

 Christian> I second Joey's request that changelog files should be
 Christian> written in English--even if the package is useful for
 Christian> other languages too.

 Christian> (Just consider a Debian system where lots of different
 Christian> peoples have accounts--like master.debian.org. AFAIK, none
 Christian> of our admins know Chinese, but perhaps a few users want
 Christian> those Chinese support packages. If the admin is carefully,
 Christian> he'll check the changelog files before upgrading the
 Christian> packages...)

 Christian> BTW, the same should apply to copyright files: I just
 Christian> noticed that the copyright file of the selfhtml package (a
 Christian> german online book about HTML) is written in German
 Christian> only. I'd consider this as a bug, but before I file a bug
 Christian> report I wanted to discuss this here.

 Christian> In summary, I'd propose the following policy:

 Christian>   ``The Debian changelog and the copyright files of a
 Christian>   package must be written in English. If the original
 Christian>   license is written in a non-English language, that
 Christian>   original version must be included in the package as
 Christian>   well, together with a translation into English.''

 Christian> Comments or objections?

I'd prefer something like `The Debian changelog and the copyright file
of a package must be written exclusively in English or provide an English
translation of all content in the same location.'

I don't see a problem with changelogs and copyright files being
written in a non-english language as long as an English translation is
available.

Dres
--
@James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> |  Blessed Be!