Re: RFS: arc-colors, gnome-colors, shiki-colors

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Evgeni Golov <evgeni@debian.org> wrote:
> */gnome-colors-3.2/debian/copyright:
>  +  Files: Tango based icons
>    Copyright: PD
>    and
>    Files: GNOME based icons
>    Copyright: GPL-2
>    is wrong:
>     you want to name the files
>     s/Copyright/License/
>     for the GNOME ones you miss the copyright holders

Will fix. It's going to take some consultation with upstream though.

>  + I still wonder about
>   "All the icons were either created in Inkscape, modified from
>    GNOME/Tango sources, or available under a free license." from the
>    AUTHORS file, the last part implies there are more derivative works?

I'll investigate further with upstream.

> arc-colors-1.5/debian/*.xml:
>  + Why are these not included into upstreams tarballs? Because they
>   have paths in them?

The upstream tarball doesn't have any installation system. It is
simply designed to have the backgrounds added manually. The are
registered when you do so. I created these xml files myself as without
them the backgrounds just sit in /usr/share/backgrounds and the user
would have to find and add them on their own. The xml files make them
show up in the gnome-appearance-preferences > backgrounds tab
automatically on installation.

> arc-colors-1.5/Sources:
>  + Run
>   "grep -r home . |sed -e 's,.*/home/,,;s,/.*,,' |sort -u"
>   It will tell you, that there are four people who did the stuff?
>   But you list only Victor in copyright.

Again, I'll investigate further with upstream.

> gnome-colors:
>  + The same is fun in gnome-colors (when you unpack the tarballs) :(
>  + grep -ri licen gnome-*/* |grep -vi "GPL/2.0" |grep -vi "cc:license"
>   is interesting too, it lists LGPL and CC-BY-SA-2.0 and 2.5 too.
>   And also CC-BY-NC-3.0 too - this is non-free! :(

I think this is an unfortunate by product of the re-licensing of Tango
from a mess of mostly variations of CC licenses to public domain. This
happened after the original creation of gnome-colors, so any svg files
edited from old Tango sources probably retained their old licensing
info in the headers. Again, I'll have to work with upstream on all
this...

> So besides of the copyright/licensing stuff, the packaging is good and
> can be uploaded as soon you fix these :) [I know, collecting copyright
> info is painfull, but if we wouldn't do that, we'd still use Windows ;)]

I have a more general question on debian/copyright. Obviously all of
the above needs to be resolved, but upstream has mentioned in the past
that they are simply interested in having a free license and are not
tied to GPL-3. So I wonder if they were to relicense as GPL-2 if
"Files: *" would then be acceptable as their original work and icons
coming from gnome would both be GPL-2 and icons coming from tango are
in the public domain, explicitly giving up copyright and including the
following in the dedication:

 | Dedicator recognizes that, once placed in the public domain, the Work
 | may be freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, used, modified,
 | built upon, or otherwise exploited by anyone for any purpose, commercial
 | or non-commercial, and in any way, including by methods that have not
 | yet been invented or conceived.

Does that imply they can be relicensed?

Thanks so much for the review!

- Andrew