Re: RFS: arc-colors

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Evgeni Golov <evgeni@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:33:29 +0200 Benjamin Drung wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "arc-colors".
>
> I'm interested in this package (and gnome-colors and shiki-colors too),
> but won't have time to review before sunday/monday, so take this as a
> sort of ITS :)

Thanks for the interest! (I am working with Benjamin on these packages.)

> BTW, I wonder whether gnome-colors isn't too generic for a package [that
> is not officially from GNOME].

We debated what to use as the package names and in the end decided on
staying close to the upstream name for the meta-package while using
the *-icon-theme naming convention on the individual theme binaries.
We felt that it would be confusing to use something different from
upstream for the package pulling in all five themes. GNOME-Colors is
very well known. 161,654 downloads through the GNOME-Look to date. As
to it not being officially from GNOME, there seem to be many packages
in the archive that are named gnome-foo without being officially from
GNOME.

We'd be willing to listen to any advise on the issue though...

Also of note is that upstream has been very helpful and willing to
make changes in order to facilitate distro packaging. They changed the
tarball versioning format to allow us to not have to repackage it,
moved hosting to a more stable location to allow us to have a working
watch file, and began including better COPYING information. All that
said, I'm sure they'd much rather see their name used for the
meta-package than something else.

> Regards
> Evgeni

Thanks,