debian/watch, sf.net and -dev versions

Hi there,

the following is a problem that I already had with another package where
a solution for this is also pending. The problem is the following.

A Sourceforge project, for which I create the packages, does have
several files on sf.net. One is the stable tree with a version like
1.4.x and then it has a -devel tree with a version like 1.5.x. If i scan
 for upstream versions with a standard debian/watch like this:

version=3
http://sf.net/<package>/<package>-(.*)\.tar\.gz

Then it will report every development version as a newer version, which
is wrong. On the sourceforges projet site this files are divided into
different packages, on called <package> and one <package>-dev. Is there
any way to handle this properly? I currently think of changing the regex
to contain a fixed version part (1.4.*), but that would break as soon as
upstream decides to release a stable 1.5.

Anny ideas?

Regards,
Patrick