Re: A list of common gotchas in Debian packaging

Hello,

Florent Rougon schrieb:

The threshold where commented lines get unacceptable is IMHO way before
they cause "terrible difficulties". You *could* read a newspaper article
in which every other line is an ad written in red ink, but given the
choice between that and a normal article, what would you choose?

The point is that in the normal case, I would do what makes the package more maintainable for me, as the maintainer.

Some people prefer to have clean as a double-colon rule, scattered across the rules file, because then you have functional blocks that are self-contained. Other people believe that the clean rule is a functional block in itself and should be self-contained. I'm not going to argue in favour of one or the other (in fact I use both, depending on circumstances), and I would prefer if it would remain the way it is now rather than being told to use the One True Way[1].

   Simon

[1] While we are at it, could we force elmo to use debhelper for binutils? I'm trying to prepare a patch against it and it would be so much easier if the package used debhelper. We can't? Bummer.