Re: A list of common gotchas in Debian packaging

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 12:33:53PM +0300, Jari Aalto wrote:
> Whether someone thinks is "bad practise", the other may think it "more
> maintainable".

Well, I must add that I don't find the recommendation very smart either,
but probably there's somebody out there that has terrible difficulties
in not reading commented-out lines or something like that.  I personally
find dh_make-generated rules files hard to read in general, mostly
because the meaning of all those commands keeps changing and even many
dh_* commands that are not commented out are not really doing anything
worthwhile.  Not that I would stop using dh_make, anyway: it would just
be nice to have a list of things dh_make is most likely to leave wrong.
Which, coincidentally, is something the "common errors" checklist will
also cover. :)

The reason I mentioned the "take out the outcommented lines"
recommendation was that it really comes up often enough to belong to the
checklist.  I don't want to fight every small recommendation detail I
find wrong; I got enough of that for a while with the native/non-native
topic.

Panu

--
personal contact:	panu.kalliokoski@helsinki.fi, +35841 5323835