Re: Handling of GnuWin32 source packages

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:26:42PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> What would be a real solution is to treat Win32 as a separate
> architecture, for which packages are always cross-compiled (at least
> in
> the beginning). People wishing to use the packages would use
> dpkg-cross
> to generate packages they can install on their development systems,
> and
> the packages would only be listed in the package list for the win32
> arch, so no overhead for the ordinary user.

When I first read this, I completely misunderstood you. I thought that
"dpkg-cross" was just an imaginary tool which you suggest to write. :-)

However, dpkg-cross already exists for years. So in a big contrast to
my previous assumption, Debian *does* support cross compiling, and
already *does* have an infrastructure. I'll have to take a deeper
look into dpkg-cross, and of course I'll try to cross compile
the "Debian Way".

So I think I should adjust my plans to do the following:

1) produce win32 cross compiling packages of some Debian source packages
2) document this, maybe writing a litte howto.
3) publish these packages in an inofficial a Debian APT repository

Sadly, there isn't any good documentation about "cross compiling
the Debian Way". The best doc seems to be the README.Debian of
dpkg-cross, which is outdated. :-(
Could anyone give me a hint where I can find more information?

I also know that something similar already exists for cygwin. However,
I like the lightweight MinGW more, and the debian-cygwin project doesn't
focus on cross compiling. Instead, they are trying to build a Debian
system (package management, etc.) on top of an ordinary Windows system.
This is also cool, because it provides a reasonable packaging,
installing and software distribution system for Windows, which lacks
it for decades. However, I don't think that this approach will be widely
adopted.

Greets,

    Volker

--