Re: Handling of GnuWin32 source packages

Volker Grabsch <vog@notjusthosting.com> wrote:

> Which of these ways is the current, modern, best practise way of
> handling such exotic source archives?

I don't think that there's a general consensus about that.

> The "Debian New Maintainers' Guide" explicitly says that it doesn't
> cover this topic. The "Debian Developer's Reference" has one interesting
> chapter "Best practices for orig.tar.gz files"
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-origtargz
>
> This covers "Repackaged upstream source", but it's very vague. It
> doesn't say much about my three ways.

It's vague with respect to your questions because I didn't see the need
to address them - the real question was "when is repacking accepted at
all".

> Personally, I like the way 3) at most, because it directly uses the
> upstream zip files. If I do so, may I then leave the required
> "README.Debian-source"?

Yes, I think so - you'll tell where to get the ZIP file in
debian/copyright, anyway.

> Although they use a "repacked source", they didn't provide a
> README.Debian-source. Are there exceptions from that rule?

Nobody is enforcing that, and it's actually a rather new addition to the
Developers' Reference.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster