pbuilder and scons

Hi *!
I'm working on a package that uses scons...

everything goes fine but I find one problem: in order to clean the sources,
debian/rules calls
/usr/bin/scons -c
but pbuilder don't try to install the Unmet build dependencies before the
"clean"...

I read, in Debian Policy Manual, that:
"Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts
    The Build-Depends and Build-Conflicts fields must be satisfied when any of
the following targets is invoked: build, clean, binary, binary-arch,
build-arch, build-indep and binary-indep."

Is it a bug?

cheers

>> full log
# pdebuild-etch
W: /root/.pbuilderrc does not exist
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: scons kdelibs4-dev
W: Unmet build-dependency in source
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is kleansweep
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.2.1-2
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Claudio Moratti <maxer@knio.it>
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot